The Ignacio B. Gimenez Foundation, Inc. announced on Wednesday, August 7 a musical playwriting contest that will fetch P1 million for the first prize winner. The deadline of the contest is March 31, 2014.
Two other prizes are pegged at P500,000 and P300,000.
The announcement for the contest was held at the Eurotel Hotel in Barangay Bungad, Q.C..
Competition Rules and Conditions
1. Ignacio B. Gimenez Foundation, Inc. [IBGFI] Musical Playwriting Competition 2013 is open to all Filipinos who are eighteen  years old and over, amateurs and published writers alike.
2. Entrants should write a script [libretto] for a musical play of approximately ninety  minutes in length which is suitable for dramatization. This should include a CD recording of songs. Please observe the time limit of your play before sending the same. The play may have a maximum of twenty-five  characters including minor characters. It can be on any subject. The play should be accompanied by a short synopsis [about a page], which outlines the complete story of the play.
3. The play must be written entirely in English and manuscripts should be typed if possible on A4 paper.
4. The play entered in the competition must not – at the time it is submitted – have been offered for publication, performance or broadcast in any other form or media to any other person or company. Entry must not have been previously published nor should it have won in any other competition. Entries may not be entered in any other competition until after the announcement of winners of this competition has been made. All entrants must certify the originality of their submitted entries.
5. If, for whatever reason, the entrant wishes to be known publicly under a different name or a screen name [including professional or personal reasons], this should be indicated on the entry form and have it reiterated to the Organizer should they need clarification. Please note that plays will be judged anonymously throughout the competition by the panel of judges.
6. Judging Process. The panel of judges shall give points to all entries received based on the following criteria: Storyline/ Music composition & Singability / Lyrics Content/ and Originality/Creativity
The judges may decide among themselves what weights to assign to each of the criteria. All nine  judges will read the submitted manuscripts and listen to the CDs. There will be no screening committee.
Out of all the received manuscripts, the panel of judges shall then short-list five  outstanding entries by the same criteria and shall collectively rank them first, second and third placers.
In the event the judges cannot come to a consensus, there shall be a vote. The entries that would garner the most number of votes shall be declared the official winners. The result of the voting made by the panel of judges is final.
7. Entrants may submit as many manuscripts as they want. Entries must be submitted through a courier with the subject heading IBGFI Musical Playwriting Competition 2013. Entrants MUST submit ten  copies of their manuscripts with an accomplished entry form attached to the first copy only of their manuscripts. Please write in block letters.
All songs included in the manuscripts should be recorded, and ten  copies of the CD placed in a brown envelop, along with the entry form, and ten  copies of synopsis and manuscript.
Note that IBGFI requires only the first copy to contain the contact information of the entrant. This is to be kept in the foundation’s file.
The rest of the copies go to the nine  judges who will review the manuscripts. For judges’ guidance, these unnamed manuscripts will be numbered. Aside from the numbers, the nine  manuscripts should not have any marks that will identify it with their authors. IBGFI practices fairness and objectivity.
Entrants MUST also save their personal data [i.e., the accomplished entry form] in a CD and MUST include this in their submission.
Entries should be sent to the address below:
IBGFI Musical Playwriting Competition 2013
3/F, Rosario Ortigas Arcade, #42 Ortigas Avenue Extension Rosario 1609 Pasig City Philippines
8. This competition opens on 7th August 2013 and all musical plays must reach us by midnight [Manila time], 31st March 2014. Entries received after the deadline will no longer be considered for the competition. The IBGFI shall not be responsible for entries which are not received or which are received after the deadline due to technical failure or for any other reason whatsoever.
9. By entering the competition, entrants grant IBGFI the right to broadcast and produce the winning entry[ies] in any location using a cast of professional actors as IBGFI deems fit, free from any payments, royalties or any fee whatsoever.
IBGFI may produce all or any of the three winning manuscripts. The Panel of Judges will decide and choose which manuscript will be produced. The guiding criterion is the story is supposed to be a commercial success and will be appreciated by the world.
It is expected that the play produced by IBGFI will have the collaboration of the author[s]/writer[s] in the production process. IN CONNECTION WITH THIS, THE WINNING PLAYWRIGHTS/WINNERS WILL BE REQUESTED TO EXECUTE AN UNDERTAKING WITH IBGFI.
10. There shall be three  winners who shall receive the following cash prizes:
First Place – Php 1,000,000.00
Second Place – Php 500,000.00
Third Place – Php 300,000.00
*All winners will also receive certificates of recognition and are expected to attend a prize – giving event. The prizes are as stated and cannot be modified or transferred.
The winners shall grant and transfer to IBGFI all intellectual property, moral and publication rights to the story, including any translations, adaptations or modifications related thereto. IN CONNECTION WITH THIS, THE WINNING PLAYWRIGHTS/WINNERS WILL BE REQUESTED TO EXECUTE A FORMAL DEED OF ASSIGNMENT IN FAVOR OF IBGFI.
It is hereby understood that the cash prizes to be awarded to the winners shall include consideration of such intellectual property, moral and publication rights to the stories and the writers shall not be entitled to any other royalties or fees from earnings, if any, that may result from future publication of, licensing of, production or other transactions involving the same.
It is the intention of IBGFI to promote the growth of musical play in the Philippines and allow entities who may wish to produce the winning play[s] free of charge.
11. In the case of an entry collaborated by two or more writers, IBGFI will require a written or email confirmation from each writer that they consent or agree to share or divide the cash prizes between themselves, as well as the name of the person to whom the money shall be given as IBGFI shall present the award to only one of them.
12. Winners agree to take part in any post-competition publicity as required. IBGFI reserves the right to edit or alter the winning entries should it be necessary to make them better fitted or more suitable for dramatization. IBGFI shall require the entrants to collaborate and assist with such adaptations if asked to do so for no further payment.
14. Prizes must be taken as stated and cannot be modified.
15. IBGFI reserves the right to withhold prizes, amend the rules or to delay or cancel the competition in whole or in part if it considers it necessary or if the entries were later found to contain circumstances beyond the normal or acceptable standard set by IBGFI.
16. IBGFI lays out a time frame of one  whole year process for the competition – this is from announcement of the competition to the announcement of the winners. Say, announcement of the competition is in July 2013 then entrants will have until April 2014 to submit. The announcement of the winners – first, second and third placers will be in July 2014.
17. Entrants are considered to have accepted these rules and agree to be bound by them upon entering this competition.
Your FEEDBACK can be posted at www.filmacademyphil.org/forum/