By Issa Sebullen
Ano ba ang maipagmamalaki mo? That’s the question posed by the national Pride Campaign of UNESCO in cooperation with the Film Academy of the Philippines and Touch Mobile of Globe.
Doon Po Sa Amin… is the start of the answer to be followed by your place and anything from your place that you can be proud of. As a Batangueño can say, “Doon Po Sa Amin sa Balayan, Batangas ay matamis ang santol at sampalok, masaya at basang-basa ang Parada ng Lechon (June 24) at masarap ang orig na bagoong Balayan, Maipagmamalaki ko rin ang mga dagat na palibot sa amin, ang suot kong Burdang Taal, ang kalapit naming Taal Volcano at kababayan ko at kamag-anak na si Ryan Cayabyab .”
This national Pride Campaign aims to awaken the nationalism in the Filipino by reminding everyone that the Philippines is a country of wonderful people, places, fauna, flora, activities, etc. Here’s the list of suggested items that you can send.
1. PLACES and SITES – beaches, mountains, falls, volcanoes, rivers and streams, hot springs, forest reserves, animal sanctuaries, valleys, river deltas, plateaus, flags / seals / buildings / structures, museums, libraries, archives, zoos, schools, universities, churches, edifices built before 1900, between 1901-1946, birthplace of presidents, senators, justices.
2. PRODUCTS – food, way of cooking, kakanin, handicraft (cloth,wood metal and other materials) Instruments and materials used in fishing, farming, construction and office work. Clothing and indigenous wares, furniture, jewelry, ritual objects.
3. ANIMALS and PLANTS – work animals, pets, insects, trees, flowers, other plants. Wild flowers, natural medicinal herbs, window plants, gardens or yards, birds, fishes (largest, smallest, first, last and only).
4. TRADITIONS and NORMS – Dialects / origins / legends / customs / rites / traditions / fiestas , parades, processions, patron saints, beliefs.
5. ARTS – Visual arts, traditional arts, religious arts, music, musicians, musical instruments, artists, authors, songs, dance, plays, poets etc.
6. ORDINARY PEOPLE & PROFESSIONALS (who have made us proud to be Filipino and have made exemplary contributions to society thru Filipino ideals and hardwork and thru development in any field artisans, tradesmen, prominent people, doctors, scientists, inventors, engineers.
7. THE FIRST, THE ONLY, THE BEST AND THE OLDEST
All items received will be validated and compiled into a book and CD that will be distributed to schools. The said compilation can be used in game shows particularly those prevailing in television.
You can send your contributions by texting PRIDE followed by your Name, Place and the item that you are proud of and send to 2346.