In line with the desire of MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando to get the comments and recommendations of our local film producers on how to run and promote this year’s Metropolitan Manila Film Festival (Philippines), the Executive Committee of the MMFFP will meet with producers on April 15 after the observance of Holy Week.
Rolando E. Josef, chief of the MMFFP secretariat, said he had sent invitation letters to producers and furnished them copy of existing guidelines regarding the filmfest. Included in the guidelines is setting of June 19 as the deadline for the submission of screenplays for eight slots in the 36th version of the annual filmfest.
The review of the filmfest rules and regulations is one of the initial activities in preparation for the December event.
According to the calendar of activities the period from June 20 to June 29 will be for the reading and selection of the submitted screenplays. The announcement of official entries will be made on June 30, a Tuesday.
A draft of the MMFFP 2009 rules and regulations was also sent to the producers for their study and review. Josef said revisions may still be entertained during the summit scheduled on April 15.
The basic requirements as now embodied in the draft include the following:
–Entry screenplays may be in Filipino or English but films made therefrom must be in Filipino language. Nevertheless, foreign language may be used in some dialogues not exceeding 50% of the entire dialogue for purposed of enhancing the movie in accordance with the script’s or film’s storyline.
–Entry films must have Filipino performers as lead stars, cast, crew and staff. However, should the employment of foreign actors/actresses ands crew and/or staff, the number of such foreign actors/actresses and crew and/or staff to be employed in a film should not be more than 50% of the major cast and 20% of the staff and/or crew of the film, respectively. Provided that such foreign performers shall not be eligible for festival awards.
–The length of any film entry should not exceed three hours of exhibition.
The section on the requirements for submission of screenplays has the following
–Producers must file the following requirements with the Head of the MMFFP 2009 Secretariat at MMDA Building, EDSA corner Orense Street, Guadalupe, Makati City, on or before June 19, 2009.
• Notarized form of application to participate and fifteen (15) copies of the screenplay.
• Proof of payment of a non-refundable application/entry fee of Twenty Thousand Pesos (P20,000.00) for every film entry. Such fee may be paid to the Secretariat in cash or in manager’s/cashier’s check payable to MMFFP.
• Notarized affidavit of the producer signifying his/her conformity with the rules and regulations governing the 2009 Metro Manila Film Festval-Philippnes with an undertaking that he/she shall produce the movie based on the submitted screenplay, filmography and notarized form of application to participate once selected by the Selection Committee.
• List of proposed or intended lead actors/actress and director/s who shall participate in the filming of the movie shall be submitted. Changes in the proposed cast/director/s may be allowed within fifteen (15) days from date of selection, on condition that replacements are of equal or more bankable value. Such changes must be subject to approval of the Selection Committee.
• Written confirmation of the stars and directors as proof that they are participating in the film should be submitted to the committee.
Your FEEDBACK can be posted at www.filmacademyphil.org/forum/